The Christ Church Food Pantry works to reach out to those in our surrounding area who find themselves in need of support in their daily lives. We are open on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month from 10:00 am to Noon. The Pantry distributes basic grocery items as well as fresh fruits, meats, bread and drug store items. Our Food Pantry Garden provides our clients with fresh vegetables throughout the growing season. Our volunteer-gardeners plant, grow, pick and pack a variety of nutritious and delicious vegetables and herbs such as green beans, hot and sweet peppers, squash, tomatoes, and basil.
Our all-volunteer Food Pantry serves 60-plus families twice a month. We are a member of the Fredericksburg Regional Food Bank and we also administer three federal food programs: USDA food distribution, and Commodity Supplemental Food program.
TO SIGN UP FOR FOOD, please come in-person on one of our distribution days. Be sure to bring a picture ID with you.
What you will receive:
- The basic pantry is open to any who ask for help during pantry hours. Each pantry client is offered a basic bag of food plus selections from produce, bread, meat and drug store items as available.
- Food from the USDA surplus program: This food is in addition to the basic pantry offerings. It is available to clients of any age who meet income guidelines established by the federal government.
- Commodity Supplemental Food program: This pre-packed box of food is available to low-income individuals over the age of 60 upon approval by the Fredericksburg Regional Food Bank.
Our Food Pantry has launched a new program for families that are eligible:
- Asset Limited: you have no safety net in times of crisis
- Income Constrained: your income falls short of essentials
- Employed: you are working but not earning enough
If you are eligible but are unable to come to our Pantry during our regular distribution hours due to work conflicts you may qualify for our new program. Eligible families will be able to retrieve food from lockers located on our campus at the end of their workday. For more information about this program, please email: secretary@
In addition to food distribution, we offer the following support programs:
- Holiday Basket Distribution: At Thanksgiving and Christmas one pantry date is replaced with the distribution of foods for special holiday meals.
- Backpack Project: In the late Summer before public schools begin, the church provides Backpacks to school age children of pantry clients who have signed up their children. These are filled with supplies based on lists provided by the schools.
The Christ Church Food Pantry is an all-volunteer operation. We welcome anyone who would like to participate in this wonderful outreach ministry.
We need people to:
- Pack bags for distribution
- Shop for food at the Fredericksburg Area Food Bank
- Stock pantry shelves
- Keep records for the pantry
- Distribute food on pantry days
- Carry groceries to cars on pantry days
- Remove trash from pantry rooms after use
To speak directly with someone about our Food Pantry, please call: Stephanie & Roy Smith: 540.582.6162.